Under M.G.L. Chapter 115 and 108 C.M.R. you have a right to:
- File a written application for veterans' benefits at any time. You can insist upon this right, even if told that you are ineligible. (108 CMR 4:02 (1))
- Receive assistance from your local veterans' agent (VSO) in completing your application. (MGL c.115,s.3)
- Receive a full explanation of the services and benefits available under MGL Ch. 115, as well as other available benefits.
- Receive a written notice and explanation of the approval or denial of your application for benefits. (108 CMR 8.02)
- Be treated with dignity and respect and to receive accurate, courteous and timely service.
- Appeal and request a hearing if you disagree with any action taken in your case. (108 CMR 8.07(1))
- Expect confidentiality; personal information will not be collected or used except for the purpose of determining your eligibility for benefits. (MGL Ch. 40 s.51)
- Receive fair and equal treatment without regard to sex, race, religion, handicap, ethnicity or national origin. (MGL Ch 151B, s.3)
- Preference in public employment. (MGL Ch. 31, s.25 and Ch. 41, s.112)
For additional information on your rights, speak to the Director of Veterans' Services, (VSO), formerly known as the Veterans' Agent at Memorial Hall, 48 South Main Street, Middleton, MA 01949 or call 978-762-0611.